vrijdag 9 mei 2008

How things are going

Although it was a bit quiet on my blog for a while, I'm still alive (and kicking). The last days I've been at a big exhibition here in KL, to search for some other players in the market and to widen my network. So far, I've spent my first ammunition of businesscards, already reloaded two times and still had to reach foy spare cards in my other pocket. Man, what a businesscard culture! Even when I was sitting in a bar, just taking a breath from the whole exhibition experience and all, I still needed to spread my cards all over the place. I've been invited to join in for rock climbing next sunday, to go to everyones homes, clubs, etc. I was even invited to meet up with a businessman and take a look at his factory. That was supposed to happen today, but he canceled at the last moment. Too bad, because I was really interested in seeing a big steel processing factory here in Malaysia. Monday I get to see another one, so I can't complain too much.

The way people do business here really differs from what I'm used to in The Netherlands; first you eat, drink, just make an easy conversation. After that, It's business time. A funny thing is that almost everybody wants to be your future partner, or has a brother/friend/family who would be able to become "my" businesspartner. Even if people are in a totaly different ballgame, they still know everything about everything and still want to become partners. At first, it looked interesting and fun. But after a while, it's just too much. Some really big consultants say it's best to have a local partner, some say you really don't have to. Other ones just want a grasp of the loot by already proposing a good price for offices, land, etc. I had it a couple of times: I just started a conversation, and after a minute or two I was able to buy a whole factory, including officespace, staff, etc. I really need support from professionals, otherwise I could end up owning half of the Klang Valley... No serious, people talk about setting up companies very easy, like it's just playing poker. So I really have to be carefull and look for the right people to talk with, because everyone has a double agenda over here.

More about that and a lot of other stuff, coming soon! Have to go now!

Ow and, tomorrow I'll be at a very cool Freedom Festival, where DJ Tiesto will be spinning records for two whole days. Lots of fun, lots of expenses... You'll here everything ASAP!

1 opmerking:

smits.zelf zei

Kun je je niet beter tot Koning van Maleisië laten kronen, dan hoef je geen land meer te kopen en op elke nationale feestdag laat je gewoon DJ Tiësto optreden...
Maar zonder gekheid, wat een getrek en geduw. En dan is het de kunst om je niet gek te laten maken, maar tegelijkertijd de real opportunities niet als kind met het waswater weg te spoelen.
Boeiend verhaal Matthias!
Wim