vrijdag 9 mei 2008

On the move

As I already told in my former message, I've been quiet on the internet for the last few days. The reason was that I wasn't around the office from wednesday untill this morning, because of several appointments downtown KL. Usually, I go on the internet when I come home straight away. But, for the last few days, there have been some problems. All of the sudden, I couldn't connect anymore. The hotel said it was a problem with my laptop first. After that, it was supposed to be the cable that refused to work. After that, they would take care of the problem. What I have learned here, is that if you want to do business for real, you need a Chinamen to get the job done. The Malay are not the most efficient people, the Indians are usually given a bit lower function and the Chinese are on the top. As it has been like that in the businessworld over here, I thought it would be the same in my hotel. So I called and looked, trying to get myself a Chinamen to take care of the internet problem. The problem is that the Chinese are not the ones you get to speak easily, because they are all upper management. So I had to deal with the people at the reception. This was continuing for three days, so I was quite fed up with it.

Yesterday, one of the hotel managers called me on my Malaysian mobile to invite me to dine together tonight. I accepted his invitation (free dinner + free drinks!) to get to know him, and to adress my internet problem. One hour later, I was moved to another room. There was a problem with the internet connection on my room, so I had to move to another room - I thought I told them the same thing over the last three days, but who am I to believe?

To make this (not so interesting) story a bit shorter: I moved to another room. Funny thing is that it's the exact same room as before, only it's on the 13th floor, instead of the 11th. Besides that, it's exactly mirrored compared to my old room! Although that doesn't really sound that radical - it is! Literally everything in on the other side now, even around the sink in the bathroom. Left = right and the other way around... I already bumped into walls and doors, because they open the other way around, etc. I'll survive, but it's just... new.

Geen opmerkingen: